retrofit installation  

I'm getting ready to begin installing an 8051 computer to one of my project cars and have a few questions.

But first the target of the installation.

Its an 84 Vette with a basically stock small block. When I got it the car was a basket case and I'm bringing it back to life as a new toy. With the 8051 I have an HSR manifold and a complete new fuel system as well. This is basically a stand alone install, which means no BCM or anything else that would normally be found on a typical camaro or such.

I have a modified small HEI distributor with the optispark disk and sensor installed very similarly to the pictures I was able to find on the internet of such a mod.

This is not my first EFI retrofit, I've done '427 ($0D), '830(Saujp), and recently an EBL-P4 on a blown big block. All with wiring harnesses built from scratch by myself on classic muscle cars and street rods.

question 1;

Can I run with an LQ4 truck MAF instead of the LT1 MAF with just a simple airflow table change?

Question 2;

What does it take to run mafless in Speed Density Mode?

Question 3;

Do I need to run all 4 narrow band O2 sensors? can I run just 2 and disable the the rear 2? can I run 1 NB and 1WB? Can I run with just 1 WB and use the wideband's simulated NB output on the other NB channel?

question 4;

This car has no BCM or any other OEM electronics that it may be expecting including the VATS. Anything I need to do to accommodate this other than disabling VATS in the PCM?

Question 5;

I'll have no EGR, CCP, AIR, A/C or anything else. How many I/O channels are available for other things such as fuel pressure sensors and such?

question 6;

I may be installing a carputer in this car later on, does $EEhack play nice with something like Centrafuse on windows7?

question 7;

In the next phase of this car build (probably next year) I will be swapping the small block for a twin turbo 454 with a 4L80E (and of course a 9" rear end). Are there any mathamatical airflow number limits hardcoded in this PCM that may give me trouble? I intend to run mafless with a single 102mm throttlebody on a singleplane intake.  I'm expecting about 1000hp on this big block (its under construction right now).  any problems I may run into with the 8051 or should I plan a computer change with the engine swap? (If I can make it work I'd like to run the 8051 with $EEhack).

thanks for your time. And I'll try to post some pictures of the install in this 350 small block, which I plan to start in a week or two.

Marvin

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/06/2017 12:47 am
Admin Admin

>>  Can I run with an LQ4 truck MAF instead of the LT1 MAF with just a simple airflow table change?

That maf will work, you can derive a starting point for it based on the MAF calibration table from the LQ4's bin, but it will require manual tuning.

>> What does it take to run mafless in Speed Density Mode?

Just unplug the MAF and disable the error code (and obviously tune your VE table.. I do make tools for that).  Some people find MAF tuning to be easier since it's just a 2d table but I think you'll find speed density is the best thing for your application

>> Do I need to run all 4 narrow band O2 sensors? can I run just 2 and disable the the rear 2? can I run 1 NB and 1WB? Can I run with just 1 WB and use the wideband's simulated NB output on the other NB channel?

There are only two o2 sensors for an 8051.  Four sensors were for later OBD-II configurations (the extra sensors being for post-cat monitoring).  The exception was 1995 corvette rigs that had three o2 sensors, the third one doing nothing useful at all.

Being sequential with independant per-bank trims, it requires two narrowband sensors, you can't get by with one.

Definitely do not try to use a normal narrowband with a wb sim on the other bank, it'll go horribly wrong.  Weld in a bung for your wideband, or alternatively disable closed loop while you are tuning with the wideband and throw it in a narrowband hole. 

>> This car has no BCM or any other OEM electronics that it may be expecting including the VATS. Anything I need to do to accommodate this other than disabling VATS in the PCM?

Nope, that's it, with one exception, if you run a corvette bin file it wants a CCM as aldl bus master, so just don't run a corvette bin as your base (an f-body bin is a good choice)

>> I'll have no EGR, CCP, AIR, A/C or anything else. How many I/O channels are available for other things such as fuel pressure sensors and such?

There are a couple, the a/c pressure input and EGR position input are both up for grabs (you may use one for your wideband).  Their linearity can be poor.  EEHack will read raw data from those channels if you want to log it.  The ECM won't do anything useful with that data, of course..

>> I may be installing a carputer in this car later on, does $EEhack play nice with something like Centrafuse on windows7?

Never tried, but it's worth a shot?

EEHack is open source, so you can freely customize the UI and recompile the software as you see fit.

>> In the next phase of this car build (probably next year) I will be swapping the small block for a twin turbo 454 with a 4L80E (and of course a 9" rear end). Are there any mathamatical airflow number limits hardcoded in this PCM that may give me trouble? I intend to run mafless with a single 102mm throttlebody on a singleplane intake.  I'm expecting about 1000hp on this big block (its under construction right now).  any problems I may run into with the 8051 or should I plan a computer change with the engine swap? (If I can make it work I'd like to run the 8051 with $EEhack).

No, you won't run into airflow limits, especially in speed density mode, but this is not the right ECM for the job at all.  It doesn't support a 4L80E, it is sub-optimal to tune with boost due to limited table resolution, and RPM is severely limited.  You would be completely insane to use an LT1 ecm for this purpose when LSx ecms or standalones are much better suited.

EEhack/EEx/Fbodytech Creator

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/06/2017 9:57 am

My 454 wont be revving above about 6800 rpm.

for the 4L60E to 4L80E Its always been my understanding that you can re-pin the plug and make some changes in the tables and it works fine.

I dont intend on going over 14 pounds of boost, but I understand what your saying about $EE not being set up for boost.

I dont really want to go '0411 on this car, so I may just stick with something like code59 with my Ostrich emulator and just piggyback a '427 $0D for trans control.

I still might try this out first though, It'll be a while before my big block is ready anyhow.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/06/2017 10:25 am

Working

Please Login or Register